The church visit group went to St Saviours church in Kings Road, Westcliff-on-Sea for their June visit . Two of the groups members were married there and one man is in the choir.
St Saviours was built in stages in the early part of the 20th century. Worship commenced on the site held in a marquee, first service on 1 July 1906. The first church was being constructed during this period a bell tower planned but was never built.
The church hall was completed in 1906 and was used as the first church on the site. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Barking. The current church was completed in 1911 but alterations inside have taken place subsequently. In 1928 the Parish Council agreed that women could join the choir, maximum of 5!
A former church warden Bob gave us an interesting talk and we were then able to wander around the church and enjoy it . The average congregation number is 50.
Everyone agreed the church had a lovely friendly atmosphere and many of us felt we would like to attend a service.
After our visit our Group Contact suggested we give ‘Surf’on the seafront a try for lunch .
18 of us took over the cafe and again we were impressed with the friendly service and nice food. All in all a friendly day!
We went to Foulness Island at the beginning of September and visited the Old School now the Heritage Centre, had a tractor and trailer around the island and looked at the deconsecrated church and the graves there. There were 3 war graves from the Great War and these were unknown sailors lost at sea and washed up on the island.
St. Mary’s Hospital Chapel
In August we visited St. Mary’s Hospital Chapel in Ilford. This was founded circa 1145 AD by Adelicia, Abbess of Barking, as a hospice for 13 aged and infirm men and is a lovely building. We then continued to Barkingside to the Barnardo’s Church there. This was the church attached to the Barnardo’s Children’s Home and the pews are child size. The stained glass windows are all of children from the bible. Some of the buildings have been retained, but are now a private estate. There is a memorial to Dr. Barnardo in the grounds.